Sunday, January 10, 2010

How:"I know my way around a ban."

Some of you may recall when this remark was made in my room and then made it's way into a viral recording on Youtube. At the time we all thought that she meant that she could sign in under a black name and come into the room that way. Hell we all knew that.

This recent discovery of the multiple usernames similar to the ones I use brings that little slip of the tongue to the forefront. Not only does someone "know their way around a ban" but they seem to "know their way around passwords" and thus "know how to create hoax pm's."

Now,I am not, for one minute accusing the person who made that statement. I am using that example as a reminder of how weak Paltalk security is and just how easy it is for someone to come into Paltalk for whatever purpose and fool readers into thinking that a username is real when it is, in fact NOT.

There has been a widespread use of impersonator usernames and rooms lately. The changes are subtle and require close examination to determine who is real and who is not. This harkens to the old days when my chat room was PRIVATE yet someone always seemed to know their way around that. I attributed it to someone being able to hack into Paltalk. Instead, it may have been as simple as someone giving out PRIVATE information entrusted to them.

A certain someone who wrote in a blog a long, long time ago "He thinks I am his best friend, but personally I can't stand him." It was this comment that got me looking until I found my answer.

MURT